Thursday, March 27, 2008

Black Language

I was confused at times during the reading as to what the author was trying to say. I understood the point about language versus the dialect. The language is unique for the area, but overall is a dialect of the same language for others in a different area. I felt that the author started to preach against the “rich whites” for only educating blacks when it was of benefit to them, and then only to teach that “the child can never be white”. I felt that this last bit was unnecessary and injured the author’s words. The author makes references on how words and phrases have been changed to be less crude with their meaning for whites versus blacks, such as “jazz” and “sock it to me”. For blacks they mean one thing but for whites they mean another. I do think though that some of the things stated have changed since the 1970’s and that the situation is a little better in some areas. Sure some regions things haven’t changed due to prejudice and poverty, but overall in the country things have changed since that time period.

No comments: