Sunday, March 23, 2008

The right to fail?

The Right to Fail….yeah right. It doesn’t matter what right we have when we are pretty much forced into succeeding as defined by society. Success is defined, today, completing college with a four year degree, anything less and you are a failure and won’t amount to anything in your life. Or at least that’s what I was told. What is the problem with someone getting a lower degree and pursuing a higher one later? What if someone wants to actually LEARN what they are going to be dealing with in their career? I find that it is sad, how you basically have to buy our right to succeed in this world, and anything less is failing. I have had goals in my life that I have failed to achieve, but not through any fault of my own. It is hard to get over your desires when they can not be obtained no matter what you do in your lifetime.

2 comments:

cari chapman said...

What do you mean when you say, "It is hard to get over your desires when they can not be obtained no matter what you do in your lifetime."

I like what you said that people might actually want to learn what they are going to be dealing with in a career. I am a biology major and it seems that they are cramming me with all of this information and I have no time to actually learn and apply it. I too do not agree that just because someone doesn't get a four year degree, he is a failure. Everyone should set their own goals and strive to do their best to achieve them.

Scubadiver1188 said...

Sadly your post is a shot to the heart of the matter. Every one is EXPECTED to do something in their life that, to some one else, means something in the end. We all have desires, sadly sometimes we are forced to give them up. I agree with Cari in that when we are preparing oursleves for our careers of choice that we are being crammed and have no means to apply what we have learned. Some of the most succses full people in the world did not got to college I.e. Albert Einstien.